Product Description
The Diamondback Insight STI-8 takes the high performance and versatile Insight 3 and turns it up a notch. By adding simplicity in use and maintenance, we've bettered our top of the line performance hybrid with a Shimano Nexus internally geared 8-spd hub and single front chain ring. This leaves you with better shifting and an easier to maintain rig. Add in a Shimano 8 spd, twist shifter and what you've got is one stealth and simple machine that packs a punch.
| List Price: | $650.00 |
| Price: |
$538.84 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details |
| as of Fri, 22 Feb 2013 03:25:33 GMT ***Remember, deals price on this item for sale just for limited time*** | |
Product Details
- Size: 17-Inch/ Medium
- Color: Black
- Brand: DiamondBack
- Model: 02-12-4126
- Released on: 2011-10-10
- Dimensions: 8.50" h x 29.00" w x 53.50" l, 37.00 pounds
Features
- Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum Insight Performance Hybrid Frame
- Insight Integrated Alloy Aero Straight Blade Fork
- Single Gear Crankset w/ Integrated Chainguard
- Shimano Nexus 8-spd w/Nexus Twist Shifter
- Weinmann Double Wall Alloy Rims
Customer Reviews
Most helpful customer reviews
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful.Great ride around bike
By R. J. Bennett
This is a great affordable bike with internal gearing. This is the main reason why I bought this bike. I wanted a simple, maintenance free bike that would be fun to ride for 15 to 30 km at a time. Build is excellent.
PROS:
1. Super quiet
2. Light and nibble
3. Great gear range
CONS:
1. Brakes are not great at stopping the bike
2. Brakes are noisy, I think I will upgrade at some point
3. The tires slow the bike down, I think they should be narrower and higher PSI for a faster ride.
Saddle could be better but at the price point and my expected riding distance I won't complain. I have other bikes for longer or faster rides. This bike is a great commuter or go ride the neighborhood kind of bike.
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful.Impressive quality, but check out the Incredible value
By BD King
I would have gone to five stars just for the value, but there was no sizing guide, hence the 3 stars.
I bought this primarily due to the Shimano Nexus hub and other reviews. The bike came on schedule (as always with Amazon Prime), and the quality is impressive as you remove it from the box. As with other reviewers, I decided to let a bike shop do the final assembly and tuning. The instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired for instruction, and there are nuances to tuning a bike that I believe are better left to the bike shop mechanics.
A couple of things:
1. The seat is a torure rack. Immediately replaced.
2. They don't tell you how to "size" the bike. Once I got the manual, I realized I should have ordered a medium, not an extra large. The extra large is about 2-3 inches higher than is comfortable for me, but I'll keep it anyway. Check out your inseam and order the correct size.
3. The tubes use a valve that is incompatible with 'standard' air chucks. You'll need adapters or a pump with that nozzle.
4. No kick-stand. That was a significant dissapointment.
Value
Even though I paid $50 for the assembly, another $35 for a gel seat, $10 for a kickstand and valve adapters ($5), I found out after the fact just how much of a DEAL this is. The shimano nexus hub sells for over $350 by itself, and I got this for a total cost of $479. Add the other costs and I've out $579 for a high quality, light weight hybrid bike with a state of the art internal hub. I checked around, and there is no better deal anywhere for this combination.
Ride
The bike rides excellently. Once I got used to the height. I love the internal hub: this was not my first experience with internal hubs. I have a Sturmey-Archer 8 on a TerraTrike Rover 8. I much prefer internal hubs to derailleurs. You can shift even when stopped, there are no clunky adjustments, and no endless chain adjustments. Even though you "only" have eight speeds as opposed to 27 on derailleurs, I find that this is adequate for all but the steepest hills. As a rule, I seldom used the higher gears on my 24 speed, and used the very low gears even less.
You can add a Patterson Metropolis Transmission in place of the front crankset if you like ($250), and that increases this to 16 speeds, providing a little better low end, and you still have an inexpensive bike for the quality and capabilities. If we start riding more hills, I'll likely add that in the future.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.fun to drive commuter bike
By Leopoldo Rodriguez
I've bought this in June/12 and as of today Oct/23 about 650 miles have gone under the tires; I use it mainly for fitness and commute to work (about 10 miles)
The frame is light and the changes are really smooth.
I've read complaints about the seat on most of the bikes I compared, for me seat is excellent, does not give me any "pains" or "discomfort" and the reason is that I nailed the bike size to me. 5'7" with 31" inseam the medium size fits perfect. it might feel borderline big when stopped but when riding, that is most of the time when you're using it, the length of the seat, pedals, handlebar is appropriate for a comfortable position.
The components are fairly good, although for a "performance hybrid" I was expecting something more. We have to be real for this price point, this is as good as it gets.
The shifter might have to be replaced soon for a rapidfire (quicker and more resistant) as this one started "dropping" the first speeds around the 100th mile.
When I took it to the shop for a little tune-up and some answers about the shifter I was told that the gear changing mechanism that moves the changes has little "plastic toots" and that somehow -face it, does not have a kickstand, it will fall- one was broken, hence the changes are not as precise as they use to be when new, but still change gears on the higher range.
The shop is mostly frequented by "all racing dudes" with competition bikes and thus this was a matter or "the shifter is not really up to par" as the diagnostic, I might upgrade it as soon as this one start giving me additional issues.
The tires are very good, 700x32c without blokes, made for asphalt and sidewalks, puncture resistant and have good grip. At 650 miles the rear tire is starting to fade the thread because of use; I'm planning to replace it with something with a lower profile. Still the bike can fit larger tires if required.
As these tires does not have blokes when riding over sand, mud or leafs the grip will be gone.
The frame has an unusual but modern design, it's wider than most of the bikes, additions to hold chains, locks and other things that attach to the top tube, these might not fit; still for me is not an issue, the bike looks good even when standing still. It does not have a front shock, this might make the feel of the road "closer" when riding it, but is lighter than most of the bikes around, is a fair trade-off, just get gel gloves and get used to it.
My advice is: if you want a fun commuter bike that is fast, low maintenance and good looking get this bike. I will buy it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment